Installation instructions for Windows
Installing Python 3
The Python installation also includes IDLE, the program we will use to write and execute our Python programs.
You must follow these instructions to install version 3 of Python. If you already have a different Python version installed, you should be able to install this version alongside it. It is very important that you install version 3 — do not install version 2.
- Go to the download page for Python 3.
- Download the latest version of Python 3 by clicking the appropriate Download button. (At the time these instructions were created, the latest version of Python 3 was Python 3.7.x. If you see a later version number, that’s okay, too. Just make sure to select the button for the version number that begins with Python 3 and not Python 2.)
- If prompted to do so, choose to save the file.
- Double-click or tap the icon for the downloaded file. This will start up an installer program. If prompted to do so, click Run.
- You should be able to use all of the default settings that the installer gives you by just clicking or tapping on the Next button.
- Once the installation is complete, click/tap the Finish button. Among other supporting applications, a program named IDLE (Python GUI) should now be installed.