- Class Meetings
- Lectures: Mon, Wed, Fri 10-11, CAS 316
- Instructor: Peter Gacs
- Office Hours: Wed 4-5:30, Fri 4-5:30 or by appointment.
- Coordinates: email@example.com, MCS-277, 617-353-2015
- Teaching Assistant: Yilei Chen
- Lab Hours: Mon 12-1, 1-2, 4-5, MCS B33
- Office Hours: Tue 9-10:30, Thu 2-3:30 in Yilei's office.
- Coordinates: firstname.lastname@example.org, MCS 136
- General description
The basic concepts of the theory of computation are studied.
Turing machines and other models of computation; Church's thesis;
universal algorithms, undecidability and intractability;
time and space complexity;
reductions of computational problems, NP-completeness;
The student is expected to get a broader perspective
about what is possible and what is impossible to do
with the help of computers.
We will learn various methods of acquiring this kind of knowledge.